Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Summertime and the Magic of Reading

As a child summertime meant something different to me. While other kids looked forward to no school, no books, no homework, and vacation fun, I dreaded it. While others went off on camping trips or some place fun I was stuck at home during the summer.

Growing up in a large family meant that we didn't get to do much of anything outside of bike riding in our cul-de-sac, playing marbles in the front yard, or my Dad's fishing trips. Because my parents were strict we didn't go to slumber parties or go to other kids houses to play (unless it was on our block).

It all changed for me though one summer when I discovered the magic of the Library.

It was a gigantic building with large white pillars that reached to the sky. The walkway around it was accented with glass mosaic patterns which was slippery and I was always afraid to step on them. It had white tables around the outside of the building which was usually taken by the homeless men in the area. Most of them sat there quietly leaning against their large backpacks reading with much intensity in their eyes as though they were trying to solve a problem.

The parking lot was in the back so we would have to walk all the way around to get to the entrance of the building (and for me meant many many squares of glass patterns that I had to avoid and to not stare at the homeless men). It was a workout getting to the front (Modesto gets VERY hot in the summer) but I was well rewarded when the automatic doors open and I would be hit with a blast of nice cold air on my face. After that it was like paradise to me.

I had an unlimited supply of adventure just waiting for me to find. And the best thing of all it was free.

I checked out as many books as I could and that would fit in my book bag. I would hunt under adventure, mystery, and all the bound comic books that they had (Peanuts, Garfield, Family Circle, and Heathcliff).

I traveled to other lands and other countries, through time and space. I read the classics that I didn't read in school and I wondered if Sally would ever leave poor Linus alone (her sweet Baboo).

My library card was something I treasured so much and was so proud to have. That blue piece of plastic with my name written on it gave me a passport to anywhere I wanted to go.

I was no longer this poor Asian girl who couldn't go anywhere but a girl who went everywhere.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I loved that library!